Thursday, August 15, 2013

Madeira Cake


The last few days in work have been mayhem. It's either a feast or a famine in the art world and this week has been car-a-zeeee. I've literally been getting home having my dinner, then straight into a fight with myself to stay awake. 10pm was usually the latest I could get to. It's just one of those weeks!

It was the perfect week for Madeira cake however. A big chunky slice smothered in raspberry jam and a warm cup of tea.....hmmm comfort food. I'm a lover of madeira cake in general. My Dad however is the madeira king, he comes home with all sorts of variations of madeira.......last week was chocolate chip :) I had found some cake liners a few weeks back for a euro(bargain!) so of course madeira had to be made.


Madeira is a firm but light cake. It is moist and crumbly but has a good bite. It is a match made in heaven with most things jam, butter, nutella.......and moooore nutella. Did I mention it's delicious with nutella?
 

Recipe for Madeira Cake


Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients

  • 175g butter, softened
  •  35g light brown sugar
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g plain flour
  • 50g almonds
  • 1 1/4tsp baking powder

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven 170°C. Line and grease baking tin.
  2. In a large bowl, beat the butter until completely softened. Add caster sugar and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Lightly whisk eggs and vanilla extract together. Slowly add eggs to mixture until fully incorporated.
  3. Sieve plain flour,almonds and baking powder together. If almonds do not sift properly give mixture a whisk and make sure there are no lumps. Fold flour,almonds and baking powder into mixture until well combined.
  4. Pour into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake in the oven for 50-55mins. Leave cool on wire rack.

As you may know from reading my little blog I can never leave anything cool properly without tasting it. Hence my cake being so crumbly in the photos. This cake is so much nicer cooled fully.It's even nicer the next day...........with.....ahem.... nutella :)

Shirley x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Shirley x