Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas Cakes, Bakes and Fails!


My first gingerbread house, doesn't it look pretty? Well it DID until it collapsed. Big baking fail! I kinda had an idea it would. In the mayhem surrounding my Christmas I stoooopidly left it on a wire rack "cooling" overnight. The gingerbread got soft real quick and the roof simply couldn't take the weight of the icing.

A quick trim and back into the oven for ten minutes with my roof,walls and sides. Crisis averted! I then stuck it together and decorated as above. This was late Christmas Eve so it was somewhat more messier but it tasted great and it really isn't that much work. I used Rachel Allens recipe and templates from her book "bake". I will definitely be making it again, it was a fab centrepiece if I may say so myself. Very festive!


I also made my Mini Mince Pies from last year. Sweet Shortcrust Pastry filled with a sharp fruity mix......devine! They too are super cut and pretty to have on the table. I followed last years tradition and topped them with a star which just adds to they puuurtiness.


Last but not least Cupcakes! Because whats Christmas without cakey bakes. These were Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. It was my first attempt doing a toned frosting,let alone three! Even though the swirls weren't exact and leaked every so slightly,I was delighted with them. It was actually much easy than I thought and I will definitely be sharing what I learnt as soon as I have it perfected.


I just want to thank each and every one of you for stopping by and making me smile with your lovely comments and emails. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy New Year!

Here's to 2014!

Shirley x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Shirley x