Thursday, January 16, 2014

White Chocolate Chip Brownies


I have a cough and I want the whole world to stop and mind me.

Unfortunately that's not reality lol! A few nights ago on an evening stroll with my sister, we got caught in some fog which has now resulted in the most irritating cough EVER. It's more of a ticklish cough that no matter how many times you cough, it's still there. For the past few nights I have been sleeping sitting up which means no sleep really. So last night I was tired and cranky and wanted something comforting......obviously cake was the answer.

I was in no mood for pulling out cake tins and start the cake process (Me?!....I must have been really feeling sorry for myself), I wanted something quick,comforting and moreish! Brownies were the answer :)


It's been quite awhile since I've had brownies and I honestly don't know why I don't whip them up more often. They're moist,warm and cakey. I'm just lucky there wasn't ice-cream in the freezer because I would have demolished the lot in my feeling-sorry-for-myself state. Adding the White chocolate chips gave them little dots of sweet creaminess here and there, they were exactly what I needed. Yaaay for Brownies :)



Recipe for White Chocolate Brownies

 

Ingredients


  • 175g good-quality dark chocolate (70-80% cocoa solids)
  • 175g butter,cubed
  • 25g good-quality cocoa powder,sifted
  • 3 eggs
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 100g demerara sugar} alternatively use 225g light brown sugar instead of caster and demerara sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g plain flour
  • 100g white chocolate chips

20 x 20cm (8 x 8in) square tin


Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan-assisted oven). Line the base and sides of the tin with parchment paper. 
  2. Melt the chocolate, butter and cocoa powder together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water. Remove from the heat.
  3. In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, both sugars and vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes on high speed until the mixture looks thicker almost whipped like. Continuing to whisk, add the chocolate mixture until well combined. Sift in the flour and add your chocolate chips. Fold through with a spatula. 
  4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. When cooked, it should be dry on top but still slightly 'gooey' inside. Don't be tempted to leave it in the oven any longer than this or you will have cake and not brownies. Allow to cool in the tin, then cut into squares or any shape you desire.

These cheered me up no end last night. Sometimes you just need cake!

Hope everyone is having a great Thursday :)

Shirley x

2 comments:

  1. Oh they look gorgeous!...I haven't brownies in ages either not sure why looking at these! I shall be righting the wrong v soon. They look like fab medicine....hope your feeling better.
    My Cupcake Habit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks ever so much, they truly were the best medicine!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Shirley x