Thursday, February 13, 2014

Two Tone Vanilla Buttercream


Yaaay! I'm finally back online.

Our poor little city was battered with a storm yesterday and we had a major power outage. We sat by the fire and candlelight all reading our books. It was actually quite a surreal experience. I started to re-read the twilight saga as I felt we were in for the long haul but thankfully it came back just a little while ago. I yahoooed and did a happy dance much to my family's amusement.

We actually had to laugh. You would think what we would miss the most would be lighting or heating or the fact we couldn't cook anything but no. It was tea! We all suffered major withdrawals. The kettle was the first thing to be put on even before the heating....We are tea people!

Luckily some baking had been done already this week. It was my Dad's birthday Tuesday so I made a traditional Strawberry Victoria Sponge. G had also been giving out he didn't get any cupcakes last week so I whipped some up.

A few posts back I showed you How I do my two toned buttercream but I spotted another method on pinterest so I said I'd give it a whirl. This method consisted of filling your piping bag with two different coloured buttercreams.


While this method did look pretty, it was a lot messier. And it used up more dishes. Anything with less wash up is better in my books. I used a light pink and dark pink and it did still give a beautiful effect. I just think next time more striking colours would be better.



How to make two toned buttercream? #2

 

What you need

  • piping bag
  • piping tip of choice
  • gel food colouring of choice
  • two bowls
  • buttercream

Instructions

  1. Whip up your favourite frosting ( a neutral colour, I used a vanilla frosting ).
  2. Divide your frosting into two separate bowls. I used a red (poinsettia). Add a drop or two of the colouring to your frosting. Add a few extra drops to the second bowl. Play around with the colouring until you achieve the colours you want.
  3. Put tip into your icing bag. Using a spatula scoop one frosting into one side of your piping bag. Scoop the other frosting to the other side of the bag. It is slightly messy so don't be too annoyed if the colours mix. Push from the top of your bag and twist. Squeeze out a small bit from your piping bag until you see the two different colours. And pipe!

Hope everyone has a lover-ly (ya see what I did there!) Valentines.

Shirley x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Shirley x